Benefits of Omega 3
The benefits of Omega 3 are broad, benefiting not just healthy adults, but pregnant women, children and those suffering with all kinds of illnesses.
Benefits of Omega 3 in Adults:
- Omega 3 rich oily fish is called “brain food”, because Omega 3 is a building block essential for developing cell membranes, signal pathways and other neurological systems.
- It’s a primary component of your retina, and helps maintain good eyesight.
- We also benefit from Omega 3s recently discovered protective qualities against Alzheimer’s disease, as well as its effects on reducing heart and cardiovascular disease, decreasing arrhythmia, blood clots and triglyceride levels, lowering blood pressure and improving arterial health.
- If you are on a low fat diet it is even more important to benefit from Omega 3. Being a “good fat”, Omega 3 will be instrumental in ensuring a high enough absorption level of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, needed for resistance against infection, healthy skin, eyes, heart, circulation, blood clotting and strong bones.
Benefits of Omega 3 in Pregnancy:
- Omega 3 is as crucial in the healthy physical and mental development in babies, as it is in adults.
- Whether planning a baby, pregnant or breast feeding, some research has shown that with the mother having the recommended amounts of Omega 3, babies develop faster than those whose mothers who do not.
Benefits of Omega 3 in Children:
- Increasing the intake of Omega 3 can benefit those with dyslexia, ADHD and dyspraxia.
- Omega 3 is also thought to have a significant effect on reading skills too.
Benefits of Omega 3 for Illness:
- The anti-inflammatory properties in Omega 3 benefit those with arthritis, asthma, eczema and psoriasis.
- Periods of remission can also be created for those suffering with inflammatory bowls conditions such as IBS, colitis and ulcerative colitis.
- Support the dietary management of those with heart disease and cardiovascular disease.
- Omega 3 also assists in the relief of allergies.